Double Demerit Points – When do they Apply?

Double Demerit Points

It is a common misconception that all offences during holiday periods will attract double demerit points.

In Queensland, double demerit points apply at any time of the year for repeat offenders for certain types of offences.  They do not apply only for holidays periods.

If you repeatedly commit a specific type of offence you will receive double demerit points for the second offence.  This applies at any time of the year to the following types of offence:

  • Offences for speeding more than 20km/hr over the speed limit
  • Mobile phone offences
  • Driver seatbelt offences
  • Motorcycle helmet offences

The subsequent offence just needs to be within the same offence group as the first offence to receive double demerit points.

An example of this would be, if you are on your open licence and you commit an offence by using a mobile phone while driving you will receive 4 demerit points. If you then commit a second offence involving a mobile phone within 1 year of the first charge, you will receive 4 demerit points, as well as another 4 demerit points for offending within the year so will receive 8 demerit points in total for the second offence.

Other Information about Demerit POints

If you hold a Queensland licence and commit an offence anywhere in Australia, the demerit points will be recorded on your traffic history as if the offence were committed in Queensland.

Each person starts with zero points and you accrue points for each offence.  You will receive a drive licence sanction if you get four or more points and are on your learner or provisional licence, or 12 or more points on your open licence. You can check your demerit point balance online at the Queensland Transport website.

If your licence has been suspended due to the allocation of demerit points and you drive and are charged with Unlicensed Driving while demerit point suspended, the court must disqualify you from holding or obtaining a drivers license for 6 months.

If your licence has been suspended but you do need to continue driving for work, you may be eligible to apply for a special hardship order.  You can read our post about the process involved for that application here.

This post contains general advice only and is not intended as legal advice.